|Hermione Jane Granger|
|Born:|| 19 September, 1979
|Also Known As:|| Nicknames
|Best Friend(s):||Harry Potter & Ron Weasley|
|Hair Color:||Brown, bushy|
|Wand:|| Her own
|Loyalty:|| Family and Friends
|Portrayed by:||Emma Watson|
Hermione Jean Granger (b. 19 September, 1979) was the only daughter of Muggle Mr and Mrs Granger, both dentists in London. At age eleven, Hermione learned that she was a witch and had been accepted into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She began attending the school on 1 September, 1991 where she was subsequently sorted into Gryffindor House. She possessed a brilliant academic mind and proved to be a gifted student. She was very studious and bookish. Along with Harry Potter and a few others, she was relatively little intimidated by Lord Voldemort's name, calling him by his name, instead of You-Know-Who or He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.
Not much is known about Hermione's life before she entered the wizarding world. She was the only child of Muggle parents, Mr. and Mrs Granger, both dentists in London. Mr. and Mrs Granger were seen as "quite ordinary" and although they were "a bit bemused" by the oddities displayed by their daughter, they were known to be proud of her. HermioneFourthBirthday
Hermione on her fourth birthday with her father and mother In the summer of 1991, Hermione was surprised to learn that she was a witch and was invited to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She eagerly accepted and took to studying magic even before she began her first year at Hogwarts in the September of 1991, learning all the set spell books by heart and even managing to perform "a few spells" successfully. In addition to the texts set by the school, Hermione brought with her several other books for reference and to further her understanding of the wizarding world.
Hermione was described as being quite pretty when she made an effort at it, but usually she hid her looks under a bushy hairstyle and a mountainful of books which she kept slung on her back. She had brown eyes, a bossy sort of voice and, as a child, rather large front teeth. Hermione had the school nurse Madame Pomfrey magically shrink them in 1994 after she was accidentally struck with a Densaugeo spell, making it unnecessary for her to receive the braces her parents had originally intended for her. When angered, her voice would become slightly shrill.
Hermione never gave much attention to her appearance, except when she used great care in fixing her hair for the Yule Ball using Sleekeazy's Hair Potion, which she later remarked was too much work to use every day. Many of her fellow students were stunned by how pretty Hermione looked that evening, and she recieved many positive comments from her classmates on her appearance. She kept her hair long, as it was once described as a "long mane of brown hair," and sometimes tied it back in a plait.
Clothing-wise, Hermione generally wore her school uniform under her robes. Otherwise, she dressed casually. For the Yule Ball, however, she wore a beautiful blue dress of floaty fabrics, and a lilac dress at the wedding of Bill and Fleur.
Personality and traitsEdit
- Horace Slughorn: "Oho! 'One of my best friends is Muggle-born, and she's the best in our year!' I'm assuming this is the very friend of whom you spoke, Harry?"
- Harry Potter: "Yes, sir"
- Horace Slughorn: "Well, well, take 20 well-earned points for Gryffindor, Miss Granger."
- —After Hermione impresses Professor Slughorn in Potions
Hermione was noted for being extremely intelligent and hard-working, coming out on top in most of her classes and continuously aiding Harry and Ron in their adventures. She was so studious that the school gave her a Time-Turner in her third year, a device that rewinds time so that she could take extra courses. Because of her efficiency, she often had time to do hobby work on the side, such as preparing a defence for Buckbeak to save him from execution, and creating S.P.E.W., an organisation promoting the freedom of house-elves. Such acts demonstrate Hermione's social conscience, tenacity, and compassion. Unlike most wizards who depended solely on their magical ability, Hermione readily relied on logic. Although this often helped her cleverly deduce information that many others missed, such as Remus Lupin's lycanthropy, Hermione's emphasis on logic also made her sceptical about accepting anything without proof, as opposed to Harry who would come to intuitive conclusions. For example, she completely dismissed the idea of the Deathly Hallows, refusing to believe in them without physical evidence.
Hermione was quite responsible, perfectionistic and well put-together, which led to her being made a prefect during her fifth year. Throughout her entire school career, Hermione was insistent on order and steadfastly devoted to the rules, at the expense of her popularity. Her sense of humor was limited; she frequently expressed disapproval over Fred and George's practical jokes and threatened to put them in detention for selling prank items in the common room. She often attempted to act as the voice of reason among her more impulsive friends, to varying levels of success. However, in spite of her straightlaced disposition, Hermione was not above using coersion and threats to get what she wanted, as is evidenced by her blackmailing Rita Skeeter into writing a good article about Harry. Hermione was not afraid to stand up to her friends when she thought it was in their best interests, or when she felt they were wrong; she risked angering Harry by getting his Firebolt confiscated because she feared it might be jinxed, and argued with both him and Ginny over his use of the shady Half Blood Prince's textbook. Hermione was very determined and focused, in that she "always [kept] her attention focused on the job that must be done." Her refusal to break under torture shows her strength of willpower.
Magical abilities and skillsEdit
Hermione proved to be a witch of exceptional skill, ability, power and talent. Even before she began her education at Hogwarts, she practised some simple spells which all worked. Professor Remus Lupin, who taught Defence Against the Dark Arts in her third year at Hogwarts, claimed that Hermione was the cleverest witch of her age he had ever met; a notable remark, considering that Remus once shared classes with the very talented Lily Evans in his days as a Hogwarts student. The British witch's magical capability easily surpassed almost very single student in her year, challenged only by a select few. Hermione was considered a "borderline genius" and was the most talented witch in her year at Hogwarts.
- Vine Wood Wand: Hermione purchased a 10¾" vine wood wand with a dragon heartstring core in 1991. She used it until the spring of 1998, when she, Harry Potter, and Ron Weasley were captured by Snatchers, who confiscated their wands. She subsequently used Bellatrix Lestrange's wand.
- Revealer: Hermione owns a Revealer, which renders invisible ink visible. She tried to use it on Tom Riddle's diary but no ink showed up. It is unknown if she still had it in her possession after 1992.
- Crookshanks: Hermione obtained a ginger part-Kneazle cat Crookshanks, in 1993. Crookshanks is highly intelligent, but was not fond of many people besides Hermione. It is unknown what happened to Crookshanks after Hermione left him at the Burrow in the summer of 1997 in order to locate and destroy Lord Voldemort's Horcruxes. It's very likely the two were reunited seeing their strong affection for one another.
- Time-Turner: In 1993, just before her third year at Hogwarts, Hermione obtained a Time-Turner from the Ministry of Magic in order to facilitate her attending more classes. She also used it, at the end of the school year, to save Sirius Black and Buckbeak, along with Harry Potter. Afterwards, Hermione returned the Time-Turner, returning to a normal class schedule.
- Charmed handbag: Hermione had a small, beaded handbag on which she placed an Undetectable Extension Charm in the summer of 1997. She used the handbag to carry supplies such as clothing, books.